There are many ways to prepare a recipe so that they are easy for young children to use. Here is one idea that you might use when incorporating kids cooking into your daily routine. Features of a children's recipe should include:
- Visual cues; drawings or illustrations of the ingredients to be used.
- Child sized, individual portions; each recipe makes one small serving that is just the right size for the child.
- Easy to count numbers and fractions; 1, 2, 3, 1/4, 1/2, 1/3.
- Consistency when using measures; Tbsp. for tablespoon, tsp. for teaspoon, c. for cup, and so on.
- Type or write the recipe, add illustrations, and place in a plastic page sleeve.
- Keep recipes in a 3-ring binder that becomes the child's cookbook as they participate in cooking experiences.
We are discussing "Cooking with Kids in the Kitchen", a unit study that starts here.